Tuesday, October 16, 2007

That May Take a While......

We had a caller, that threatened suicide. Means? By hypothermia. Now I'm no expert, but how? Why so specific? Why that? What???? Where I live, and where I work, it doesn't even snow. Last night I think it was like, 55 degrees out. All I could picture is some poor, lonely guy filling up his bathtub with ice, and sitting patiently. Is it just me, or is that odd? Dispatchers, cops and family, I would LOVE to here some funny stories, on such and un-funny topic. Got any?

***Honorable Mention****

The following was in the comments section of this blog, but it deserves to be spotlighted. It waaaaay tops my story for humor and creativity. Way to go Stacy!

I was dispatched to an "Attempt by candy bar" once. I was like "What the???" We get on scene an a trooper walks over to me laughing his butt off and goes "He is a diabetic and he says he will kill himself by eating a candy bar if we don't leave." So I walk in and asked him what was going on and he was like "Come any closer and I'll eat it!!! Don't think I wont!!!!"I was like "Hey you know what? I was just getting ready to eat my lunch when they called us and I am really really hungry. Can I have a small bite of your candy bar?" and he goes "Ooooh sure of course" and handed it to me. I proceeded to hand it to the cop who threw it away haha. The guy was like "Awww I can't believe I fell for that." The cops were all upset that they didn't think of it first and transported the guy to cpep. It was pretty funny.

Keep 'em coming guys! These are great stories.

6 comments:

Connie said...

A coworker of mine had a caller who was going to slit his wrists with a butter knife. The officers had already responded because he was threatening with real knives, but they took them away from him. They also took his gun, and they dumped his Jim Beam down the drain, because the guy was extremely intoxicated. Well when my coworker talked to him, he wanted officers back out to make a report of the theft of his Jim Beam. He insisted that the officers smell his drain as evidence. He also wanted them to bring a replacement bottle with them. When more than one operator, with supervisors agreeing, refused to send officers back out, he said "well I guess I'll just slit my wrists." That's when my coworker said "How? Do you have any weapons in the house?" He said no, the officers took them all, but he'd use a butter knife. After about 5 minutes of listening to her tell this man the officers were NOT going to smell his drain, we could not contain the laughter when she said "So, you're going to slit your wrists with... a butter knife?"

Unknown said...

I have something similar to Connie's story. We had a "frequent flier" at the smallcity FD, and one day she called because she had slit her wrists...with a plastic knife!! She also read somewhere that people who have seizures sometimes urinate on themselves during. She used to call all the time to tell us she had "peed her pants again."

Stacey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

No real funny stories to tell but one night when I was a student nurse working my shift in the ER, a woman came in with a light bulb stuck in a certain "unmentionable" place...The Dr had to leave the room for a few minutes while he tried to figure out the best way to handle the situation...(You could hear him laughing in the Dr's lounge)He removed it, but not without an awful lot of silent tears from laughter, trying to not let the very drunk patient know just what he thought of her "emergency". It could have ended badly for her...by breaking. Thank heavens, it didn't.

Stacey said...

To anyone who is offended by my terrible grammar/punctuation in that post I apologize profusely. I am pretty sure I had just finished an 18 hour shift at the time of the comment.
But that was definitely on my top 10 funniest moments list.

SnapShawt said...

"Stay right where you are Mr. Freeze, Batman will be there to collect you shortly."